Because of a lack of government regulation, a lot of CBD companies fail to show lab tests. Why is it important to take a look at testing results for hemp products that are ingested orally? Well let’s think about it: hemp plants are grown in the ground in soil, and that soil can contain harmful contaminants like lead, arsenic, and mercury. Also, if pesticides are sprayed on the plants, they will be present in the soil. If these harmful contaminants are in the soil where hemp plants are grown, they will be soaked up by the plants and make their way into the CBD oil that is extracted from them. This is why it is necessary to ensure all orally ingested CBD products have safety tests performed and available to view.
At Synergy Botanicals, we want our customers to know exactly what is in our products, so we are happy to share our third party CBD lab testing results and information. Every one of our products is tested with state of the art equipment at a third-party Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) licensed and accredited lab and receives a COA (Certificate of Analysis) Report that measures all of the ingredients in the product down to the smallest amount. All safety tests are completed by a third-party lab to ensure there are no harsh chemicals or pesticides in our oils.
What Safety Tests Are Performed in Our CBD Lab Testing?
The safety tests performed for our CBD products include:
- Heavy Metal Testing – Tests for the four most likely heavy metals that can be found in hemp plants: lead, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury. These metals can be highly toxic to the human body, so it is important to check that every CBD product is free of them.
- Pesticide Screening – Tests for Category 1 and 2 pesticides, which are commonly used by farms to treat plants but are dangerous when consumed. No amount of pesticides are acceptable in our oral CBD products!
- Residual Solvent Testing – Tests for impurities from solvents used to extract CBD oil from the hemp plant, including C02, butane, propane, water, alcohol, and ethanol.
- Microbial Testing – Tests for harmful microbes such as E. Coli and Salmonella bacteria or Aspergillus fungus.
- Mycotoxin Testing – Tests for harmful carcinogenic mycotoxins including Aflatoxin B1, B2, G1, and G2 as well as Ochratoxin A, which can sometimes develop on hemp plants.
Our COAs will show that none of these contaminants are present in our CBD products.
These CBD products are not cheap and you’re paying for the benefit from cannabinoids, so it is also necessary to ensure all CBD products have CBD Potency and Terpene Profile tests performed and available to view on a COA report so you can see the exact amount of CBD and other beneficial compounds in that product.
How Do You Know CBD Lab Test Data is Accurate?
How can you make sure that these third party labs are not falsifying data? There have been several cases of unlicensed third party labs making up results for CBD companies, and there is no 100% sure way to prevent this.
Fortunately, California has always been ahead in this regard and has a regulating body called The Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC). BCC is the lead agency in regulating commercial cannabis licenses for medical and adult-use cannabis in California. Since most CBD products are hemp, we find it important to test at labs that are licensed in California. This gives you the highest assurance that these labs have government oversight, are being regulated, and therefore have less chance of falsifying data.
At Synergy Botanicals, we only use licensed ISO Accredited Third-Party Labs to ensure our products meet the highest quality and safety!
Stay tuned to future blog posts where we break down each CBD lab test and how to read and understand the results on the COA report.